Wednesday, December 4, 2013

I'm the Light of the World?


Let your light so shine! - Matthew 5:16 

I just saw a commercial on TV that was talking about how amazing the human eye is in that it can see a single candle at over 176 football fields away.  Think about that...If I light a candle and hold it in my hand, and you walk away to the distance of 176 football fields, then stop and catch your breath, get a glass of water and perhaps a snack, you could then turn around and see the light that I lit over 10 miles away!

The human eye is Amazing!  But let's not focus on that right now.  Think about how amazing it is that just a little light, a single candle can dispel darkness in such a way that it can be recognized so far away.

Now take that a step further.  Jesus said, "Ye are the light of the world."  And usually at this point I look at myself, and sheepishly say, "Am I?" I can't possibly be the light to the entire world, can I?  I mean that is a lot of responsibility for a guy who can barely keep his shirt stain free during a meal.  The light of the world, me?  

The problem for most of us is this, we don't FEEL like the light of the world.  To which I say, "just because you don't feel it doesn't make it untrue."  Do you want to argue with Jesus?  He said it, not me.  So if I am the light of the world, then what does that mean?  What am I supposed to do?  That's easy...Just be that candle out there in the darkness.  The one that can be seen from miles away.  Let your light so shine!  In other words, be that ENSAMPLE that the world needs to see.  Try getting back to 'please' and 'thank you', try starting with a little smile for those around you, try finding the good in others, and looking for kind words to say, try making today a brighter place for those around you.  For how long you ask?  Try doing it today, just today.  We'll deal with tomorrow when it comes.  And remember, people from as far away as ten miles can see your light...further if you're on Facebook...

Join us today, as we let our light so shine.  And remember, "you can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth you!"


No comments:

Post a Comment